Amazon Banner

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

My Time to Quit

So I've been a smoker for a long time.  Just about half my life (for the record I'm 33 now).  Around a month or so ago I made the decision to finally quit for good.

I've quit at least a dozen times before.  The most recent time was when I found out I was pregnant with my son in 2010.  I stayed quit through the pregnancy and up until he was around 4 months old.  I know why I didn't stay quit at the time.  And honestly it just wasn't my time yet.

All the times I've tried to quit in the past I've done it cold turkey.  REALLY not a good choice for me.  It does not work well for me.  I tried the lozenges once but, quite frankly, they taste really nasty and left a warm sensation in my mouth when I was using them.

This time, however, I learned that my best friend of over 15 years recently quit with the patch.  I know that's also what my mom used to finally kick the habit.  My mom quit back when I was pregnant with my son in 2010 and with the help of crocheting a baby blanket for him and the patch quit at last.


So I started my journey on October 27, 2014.  It was my first day back from vacation with my son and parents.  I figured that it would be the best time to attempt quitting because whenever I've been around my parents I always have smoked less.

That Monday I woke up and put on a patch.  That first day wasn't that bad but the next was awful.  Cravings all over the place.  Since that day I've been doing really well. I'm about halfway through my 4th week.

I can honestly say that I'm not really missing anything.  I don't miss going out in the cold to smoke or the coughing or other nastiness.  I did feel like crap for the first 2 weeks while my lungs were clearing out tho.

I highly recommend using the patch to help you quit smoking.  It's been fantastic for me.  The hardest thing has been changing habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment